Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Red Classics Theater


Long story about how I got there, but me and about 8 Chinese people went to a birthday dinner at this tucked away "Red" theater. It was all songs, uniforms, slogans, etc. from the Mao Zedong era, and if you're unsure who that is, I'm talking about the communist founder of the current People's Republic of China. I was definitely the only blond in the crowd of Chinese, and got some looks, but it was quite the experience. Everyone knew the songs from lessons in elementary school, and had little red flags to waive around with the servers and performers when they were inspired. I'm not going to comment much more, because I'm not sure what my impressions were to be honest. Below is a video of one of the songs, with the servers standing on the chairs involving the crowd. Another interesting "first" for me, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment